Wednesday 31 August 2011

Lovin’ the ‘Hood ~ Passy





Passy neighborhood that is. Or, as the French call it NAP (Neuilly, Auteille Passy) the neighborhoods the furthest West in Paris.

Next stop, Chez Zilber....

When I first started looking for an apartment, pre-kids, I wanted somewhere in the heart of the city.  But then I found, the center is too crowded, I was told to look in the chi chi 7th…But alas, I would last 2 minutes in the pretension of the lonely 7th; not my thing.

Then, I looked in the charming, lively, 6th – way overpriced and too many tourists; the 8th, great for lunchtime restaurants and high end shopping, but dead when the business suits leave.

After years of searching, and two babies later, I finally found my dream in the 16th Arrondissement, and I love every minute I spend in the sweet sixteenth. 

Ave Mozart

It’s been 7 years since I settled on Ave Mozart and I love it more and more each visit.

I’m 2 minutes from the Jardin du Ranelagh, one of the chicest parks in Paris. There’s a kids’ kiosk to buy snacks, toys (and espresso!).

Toys, Snacks AND Espresso! I've arrived!

pony rides,

I'm not in Kansas anymore!

a huge grassy area to run, play and picnic...


...stationary trains, and even Le Guignol (puppet shows) every Wed afternoon and weekends. 

Are we in the 21st Century? 
Dreamy! 



My building houses a famous chocolatier..and wine shop.

Delicious chocolate shop
Something to sip with your Truffles?

Every morning I indulge in CARBS from one of the most delicious boulangeries in all of Paris, A La Flute Enchantee...just 15 steps from my front door. 


Chocolate, Wine, and Croissants.
Is there a CRACK dealer nearby?!
And, I know everyone raves about Laduree Macarons. They're OKAY, but seriously, for cookie afficionados such as myself, NOTHING beats a macaron from Yamazaki...across the street from me!

Yamazaki = Red awning. Taken from my bedroom window...
Wake up and smell the macarons.







Arguably the BEST Macarons in Paris!! Salted Caramel is my preferé.

Are we sick of food yet? We'll come back to that in a minute. Let's start shopping.


Mecca
Rue de Passy is not going to appear in the guide books. You won't find hordes of tourists like at the Galeries Lafayette. You will find outposts of some of the coolest young designers in France as well as staples such as Zara and H&M. Prices are reasonable and the boutiques are FUN. Come along....

First stop, Franc et Fils



First opened in 1897!
Franc et Fils is a mini department store with just enough merchandise to satisfy any shopping emergency. 

The grand staircase leading up to shoes, Paul and Joe, Zadig and Voltaire, Sandro, Isabel Marant, Bash,  and the list goes on........


Exiting Franc et fils onto Passy and we're all warmed up. Just up the street is Gerard Darel. At first glance it's slightly matronly...but I flip for the long, gauzy dresses...
So does Angelina Jolie

And Jessica Alba...
Perfect for running around with Shiloh and Zahara 
Gerard Darel bags are cool too! 

Continuing up the street there is Ann Tuil - a neighborhood store with a nice selection of designer and smaller brand shoes. 



Zara, Kiwi bathing suits 

Villebrequin is for tourists...Kiwi uses soft materials and perfect cuts! 

And, then we hit Passy Plaza...

I love traveling, but one thing I am seriously addicted to is my STARBUCKS. I know, French coffee, the best, blah, blah, blah...but a grande nonfat latte in a to-go cup makes me JOYEUSE. 


How lucky am I there is a little mermaid right in my hood at Passy Plaza! Quel Chance! 




While I get my coffee fix, the kids hit Le Grande Recré...Toys are us for the petite French set.



And, another stop for Mom...I mean, Amelie....



Why do I have more fun in here than my daughter? Girly girly, boho chic, five and dime kind of stuff...Claire's meets cool! 
Bracelets and rings abound here....


Continuing up the street I can find great rock and roll sweaters and tees at Zadig and Voltaire...

uber cool! 


And the recently opened Repetto store. As a tall girl, a ballerina flat is part of my every day uniform. Repettos come in every color of the rainbow!

There's a pair here to go with anything! 
Across from Repetto is the new Maje store. I LOVE this brand - wearable trends, reasonably priced. The S.F. Chicster, Vanessa Traina recently guest designed for the brand. Take a look at her goodies:


Perfect Fall-wear! 


All this shopping is making me hungry...carbs burn faster, you know. I'll either hit my local pizzeria


A hidden whole in the wall GEM!!!!! 


or...now don't shoot me, I've been in Paris a LONG time....

Susan's Place...dare I say, MEXICAN food in French? 500 meters from my apartment!!!
You can keep your fancy fois gras, when I feel home sick, I head here for some real comfort food! 


And, then dessert from Aux Merveilleux

Merengue and whipped cream rolled in white or dark chocolate flakes....RIDICULOUS!

I'm stuffed....I'm broke...I better go home now, where I'll gaze out my window at night, lament the end of summer and count my blessings! 

Oh, the Beauty of the City of Lights from the sweet 16th!


Views from my pad

More from my window...



Au revoir Paris..



4 comments:

  1. J'adore!!!! Really needing my pain au chocolate avec mon cafe RIGHT now!!!! Thank you for sharing your slice of Paris life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bags are packed: surely the apartment needs an organizing tune up, no?

    :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veronika Karadanaian1 September 2011 at 09:31

    One day . . . one day!!!! These fabulous tips will not go to waste, I shall visit and marvel at all things beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful heart, beautiful girl, beautiful life ......an angel surrounded in beauty and so well deserved! Back from summer, my nespresso in hand and about to enjoy reading All your blogs! Ani xxx

    ReplyDelete